Python Full Stack Software Engineer
We are looking for an experienced Python Software engineer with affinity for Web UI development to strengthen our engineering team at the development center of Western Digital in Ghent, Belgium.
You will work on our latest Object Storage systems that deliver storage capacity up to 52 PetaByte and write software for the ActiveScale product line. Furthermore, you will be working on extending the customer facing Storage API, different storage compliance features, Disaster Recovery options and tuning the system for better performance and scalability.
You will have the opportunity to take your career to the next level by learning from some of the world’s brightest storage experts and contribute to a revolutionizing product.
The way we write software ? With a focus on Enterprise Quality, Performance, Scalability and Robustness !
- Taking product management's input on new features and product enhancements, and translating these into well tested and well architected implementations.
- Through our Agile development process driving features from demos to production-ready code through several iterations.
- Assisting our customer support team with troubleshooting issues and optimizing customers' setups
- Create well documented code which is quality assured by unit, component and integration testing code which are run through our continuous integration environments
- Iterate on improving design and functionality and get the liberty and opportunity to step outside the beaten path on our quarterly hackathons.
- Whatever you create, as long as it's created from the perspective of our customers, you'll create value and get their appreciation.
- Your primary focus is on building software that delivers an excellent end-to-end experience for our customers:
- Maintenance of the existing automated product integration suites and extensions to it as new features are built
- Cooperation with the UX team to get input on usability and coherence with the overall product experience
- You’ll define both the user interface as work on the API’s and back-end code that is necessary to deliver the new feature
- Master in computer science or equivalent through experience
- At least 5 years of experience (3 years for the senior level function) with programming production level software in Python
- Basic administration and troubleshooting of Linux
- Good understanding of web-technologies (.js)
- Experience with building modular, theme-able web applications
- Good refactoring skills and experience with proper API design
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong unit test and debugging skills
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools
Skills considered a plus
- Previous experience as a Front-End UI developer or Back-End Management stack developer
- Experience with the MEAN or MEAN2 stack
- Experience with Nginx, Ansible, MongoDB, Ubuntu server, networking
- Experience with Python web frameworks (Flask, Django, …)
- Experience with Webpack, Gulp and Mocha
- Knowledge of Amazon's AWS S3 API, SDK's & tools
- Understanding of Cloud and Enterprise storage concepts and products
- You have an eye for detail and you’re able to put yourself in the perspective of your customer and look at what you’re building from that perspective, expecting the best possible experience.
- You enjoy working with other people and delivering features as a team. When the team is at risk of missing out on its commitment, you'll help out even if that means stepping out of your comfort zone.
- You're familiar with getting open feedback from your peers through code review and pair programming
- You’re used to working in a team with clear coding guidelines and high standards for code.
- You enjoy working with people from other cultures and time zones
- You like working in an environment that appreciates humor, fun and off-work activities.
What we offer
- A market competitive salary with benefits
- An environment with top-notch, technical savvy people that are respected within the worldwide storage scene and beyond.
- We expect and reward hard work but we realize that there’s more than work and that trying to run a family isn’t always that trivial
- Working in a global company with local properties
- We organize a couple of outside-work-events (both sporty as non-sporty)
- We take every opportunity to ‘celebrate’ extremely serious
- Travelling to Silicon Valley or the Silicon Valley of India (Bangalore) is a possibility when you’d like
- An easy to reach location either with public transport, by car far away from the daily traffic jams or by bicycle on safe private cycling roads
- A work environment supportive of a healthy life (daily fruit, freshly cooked soup, a free gym subscription, a mini-footbal team participating in local competition)
Belgium, Gent, Ghelamco Arena
Only open for applicants with an EU worker permit.